Being a Drifter doesn't just mean being an employee; it means being part of a team, and we make sure everyone on our team is well taken care of. This means benefits like health insurance for you and your family with the premium fully covered by us, as well as dental and vision insurance. We've also got unlimited PTO, a great location in Seattle, and of course a well-stocked fridge.
If you've been looking for the chance to work elbow to elbow with some of this industry’s fiercest contributors in a nimble, quality-driven environment, this is it! Please send your resume and any applicable work examples to email@example.com with the position in your subject line, and we'll reach out to you if it looks like you'll be a good fit. We look forward to hearing from you!
Senior Sandbox Game Designer
We’re looking for a senior game designer to design and implement gameplay systems for our next game. The senior designer will work closely with creative leadership to develop game systems and mechanics from concept to release.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years experience shipping great games as a designer, scripting and implementing game systems. They will be exceptionally good at expressing their ideas both by articulating the story of a feature through words and expressing ideas visually. A senior game designer has the ability to prototype features in engine, test assumptions, and work with art and engineering toward high quality throughout production. A passion for modern shooters and a deep understanding of their underlying gameplay systems is a must.
- Work closely with creative leadership to create, implement, and iterate on game systems.
- Creatively solve problems in a collaborative atmosphere
- Share knowledge and experience to mentor other game designers
- Find the great ideas no matter who or where they come from and champion them.
- Move quickly through the creative process to brainstorm, prototype, iterate, and implement systems and game mechanics.
- Work with other disciplines to achieve shared goals
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience as a game designer.
- Experience scripting and prototyping features in engine. (Experience with UE4. Blueprints experience is a plus.)
- Some kind of awesome form of expressing ideas (you could be a good writer, skilled illustrator, video maker, or any other exceptional way of expressing ideas).
QA - Game Tester
The QA contractor will work closely with the QA Lead to develop and execute test plans, to ensure the stability of working development builds, to write bug reports and follow up on fixed issues, and thoroughly test new implementations.
The ideal candidate will have 1+ years of game testing experience. This is a junior tester position though, in time, with proven work ethic, trustworthiness and a great attitude, a more permanent senior position may very well be available for the candidate. The ideal candidate will have exceptionally good verbal and written communication skills, as well as a love for video games. A passion for mystery, horror, comics, anime, and/or the supernatural is a plus.
- Work closely with the QA lead to create and modify new and existing test plans, as well execute them in an efficient manner.
- Find and log issues in a bug database, and inform all appropriate parties depending on issue severity.
- Regress and close bugs upon completion.
- Be able to “own” certain areas of testing, upholding responsibility therein.
- Work with other disciplines to achieve shared goals.
- Preferably 1+ years of experience (minimum 6 months experience).
- Strong attention to detail, and creative problem solving.
- Demonstrated understanding of black box/functional testing.
- Experience with bug tracking systems (Atlassian JIRA, FlySpray, Product Studio, etc.).
- Able to work independently with instruction, as well as in a small team setting.
- Able to adapt to new tasks as they are discovered and handed off.
Lead Character Artist
As Lead Character Artist at Drifter, you’ll be working with the Art Director and area leads to develop character and creature content and style for an exciting, unannounced title.
- Create industry-leading, real-time character content
- Work with the Art Director and concept artists to develop a unique and dynamic art style
- Build and manage a strong team of character artists to tackle project needs
- Work with the Character TD’s, designers, and engineers to push our character content to the next level within the required technical constraints
- Sculpt, model, UV, generate topology, texture and build materials for real-time game content
- Be point of contact and mentor for all character needs across Drifter.
- Assist in staffing needs
- Mentor less senior 3D artists
- Strong communication skills
- 8+ years of experience creating industry leading character design and content
- 5+ years working with in-game, real-time character content
- 5+ years of building and managing small character teams in the AAA space
- Strong proficiency in modern sculpting, modeling and texturing tools
- Must be authorized to work in the US.
- UE4 experience is a plus
Mission Design Scripter
We’re looking for an experienced game designer to design and implement combat encounters, environmental puzzles, and scripted events to create an emotionally memorable journey for the player. The mission design scripter will work closely with creative leadership to bring the world of the game world to life.
We are looking for someone with lots of hands on experience crafting encounters, scripting AI behaviors, and building narratively and emotionally impactful sequences for modern shooters.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years experience shipping great games as a designer, scripting and implementing game systems. They will be exceptionally good at expressing their ideas both by articulating the story of a feature through words and expressing ideas visually. They will have the ability to prototype features in engine, test assumptions, and work with art and engineering toward high quality throughout production.
A passion for modern shooters and a deep understanding of their underlying gameplay systems is a must.
- Drive creation of engaging and fun mission content (objectives, narrative, combat)
- Work closely with creative leadership to prototype, implement, and iterate on mission designs and combat encounters
- Balance narrative goals with combat pacing and level structure
- Outline narrative beats, dialog, and cinematic events across missions
- Must have shipped one title or have equivalent experience
- Experience scripting and prototyping features in engine (experience with UE4, Blueprints experience is a plus)
- Some kind of awesome form of expressing ideas (you could be a good writer, skilled illustrator, video maker, or any other exceptional way of expressing ideas)
- Narrative design chops a plus
Senior Gameplay Engineer
We are looking for a Senior Gameplay Engineer to work with a small team on an exciting unannounced next-gen shooter title. As a Gameplay Engineer at Drifter you would work closely with all disciplines to help design and implement gameplay systems in our titles.
- Spearhead implementation and design of gameplay systems project wide, including AI, player weapons, player locomotion and more
- Work closely with design team to collaborate and iterate on core gameplay systems
- Architect and frame forward thinking, extensible, and scalable gameplay systems to enable and guide production
- Optimize and streamline systems game-wide to hit performance targets across multiple platforms
- Shipped one or more AAA games in a professional gameplay-centric role
- Strong C++ skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with game performance and optimization